|Libraries & Archives present the virtual exhibition|
|A journey through the
history of our buildings
Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences established a laboratory
at Cold Spring Harbor in 1890.
The attractive seaside locale allowed for summer biology
students to study the ecology of, and organisms in, the surrounding
The first Biological Laboratory class convened in a rented
Fish Hatchery Building on the Harbor.
To meet the demands of increasing enrollment, in 1893, the
Lab began acquiring houses and constructing buildings of its own.
In 1904 the Carnegie Institution of Washington opened a Department
of Genetics at Cold Spring Harbor based in the Main Building, now
the Carnegie Building.
the early 1960s the Department of Genetics and the Biological Laboratory
merged to form Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
Today CSHL, the world-renowned molecular biology, genetics
and neuroscience institute, operates out of 50 buildings. To
study the buildings of CSHL is to study those who have lived and
worked at the Lab and the science that it has produced.
Since 1994 the Laboratory grounds have been listed
in the National Registry of Historic Places.
The virtual exhibit Building
Blocks of CSHL featu res photographs, first hand
accounts, and letters documenting the significance of CSHLs Buildings.
res photographs, first hand accounts, and letters documenting the significance of CSHLs Buildings.
Please email: email@example.com to add your own photos and memories to our exhibit.