|Center for the History of Molecular Biology
at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Brenner Research Scholarship
| The selection of the Sydney Brenner Research Scholar is based
on CSHL's determination of:
- Quality of the research proposal (importance of topic,
originality and sophistication of approach, and feasibility
of research objectives)
- Relevance of the research proposal to the materials held
in the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Archival Collections
- Evidence of the applicant’s ability to carry out the proposed
research project (as outlined in at least two letters of reference,
reviews of previous work, publication record, etc.)
Proposals and applications are due by Sept. 1 each year.
Proposals will be reviewed by the CSHL Archives Committee and
a Fellow will be chosen by Nov. 1 each year, to begin the following
Selection of the Sydney Brenner scholar will be made at the sole discretion of CSHL.
The Sydney Brenner Research Scholar will be required to visit
the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Archives to use the Collections
within one year, beginning in September. The stipend of $6,000 - $10,000
can be used for any purpose, including travel, transportaion and accommodations
for the time that is spent at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
In submitting an application for the Sydney Brenner Research
Scholarship, the applicant does not incur any obligation to accept
the award if selected..
Scholars are obligated to travel to Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and do their research using the Library and Archives collections
- Scholars are expected to present the results of their research in a talk, at a meeting, on a website, or in some other educational endeavor to the educational community at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
- A copy the final research report (in the format of a scholarly book, article, or other project) is to be donated to the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Library and Archives to be placed in its collection.
- The stipend of $10,000 is to cover expenses incurred for travel and subsistence while doing research using the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory library and archives resources. Additional costs that may apply might be recording oral history interviews, microfilming archival materials, or completing other tasks involved in meeting the requirements of the scholarship.
Instructions for each part of the Application
- Complete the two-page application form
- Research proposal:
A. Statement of your research (not more
than 1000 words and no more than two pages - 12 pt. font, double-spaced)
describing your research project, including the following:
- Full description of the research
you plan to undertake at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- Explanation of the importance
of the project both in relation to your own research goals and
the broader discipline
- Justification for conducting
your research at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
B. Selected bibliography of titles
or collections in the Cold Spring
Harbor Laboratory Library and Archives that are relevant to
your research proposal.
C. Brief budget statement showing the
expenses for which support is requested.
- Curriculum Vitae, reflecting your education, previous or current
fellowships, grants, and awards, and a brief description of
your research interests. Include undergraduate and graduate
education, inclusive dates of study, areas of study, degrees
earned, and major publications.
- Two letters of reference from individuals, evaluating your
proposal. These referees should be familiar with your work.
The reference letters should be sent in sealed envelopes signed
by the referee across the flap.
|Please note: Applicants should either be working
toward a graduate degree in the history of science (in which case
they should include a letter of reference from their thesis adviser)
or show a record of publication in the field.
Summary: A complete Application will include:
- Completed Application
- Research Proposal with bibliography and budget statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of reference (in sealed envelopes)
Send all parts of your application together to:
Brenner Scholarship Research Program
Genentech Center for the History of Molecular Biology
and Biotechnology at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
1 Bungtown Rd.
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724